CERTIFICATE IN ONLINE TEACHING PRINCIPLES
Successful online courses are both designed and taught well. Developed around the @ONE Principles for Quality Online Teaching, the Online Teaching Certificate focuses on instructional strategies and practices that will help you develop robust and supportive learning communities in your online courses.
Participants in the Online Teaching Certificate can choose from a variety of 4-week, 2-week, and 1-week courses that highlight effective practices for developing and supporting a learning community, incorporating culturally responsive teaching practices, engaging in dynamic course design, modeling digital citizenship, and creating digital content that meets the diverse needs of our student population.
Digital Badges are awarded for completing each course or workshop, with a culminating Online Teaching Certificate awarded after completion of the capstone course, Online Teaching Principles.
Guided by the @ONE Principles for Quality Online Teaching, the courses within this certificate focus on developing effective online teachers who:
- are present within their course
- apply equitable methods to promote student access and success while acknowledging institutional obstacles
- respond to student needs and use data for continuous course improvement
- teach and model ethical online interaction, while helping students develop digital literacy that will poise them for success
- recognize ongoing professional development is a central component of their success
Earning a certificate has two parts: coursework and practical application.
Course registration is open to the general public
Required (complete the following courses in any sequence):
- Humanizing Online Teaching and Learning (4 weeks)
- Digital Citizenship (4 weeks)
- Dynamic Online Teaching (4 weeks)
- Equity & Culturally Responsive Teaching in the Online Learning Environment (4 weeks)
Recommended if you are new to online teaching:
The Online Teaching Principles Capstone
To enroll in the capstone course, you must be an employee of a California Community College.
In addition to coursework, participants seeking a Certificate in Online Teaching Principles will complete a capstone course, which will involve creating an ePortfolio, using the tool of your choice, that demonstrates your mastery of the @ONE Principles for Quality Online Teaching.
The Capstone is self-paced and is enhanced with peer-to-peer interactions and mentorship. Participants can enroll at the beginning of their quest for the certificate, midway through the process, or once they've completed their coursework. Successful candidates for the certificate will do a short presentation of their ePortfolio, and complete a 3-5 minute video showcasing an exemplary element of their course.