Humanizing Online Teaching & Learning
Are you looking for the secret sauce for building community and fostering meaningful student-student interactions? Well, you've found it. Research shows that online students are more invested in a class when they have an instructor who cares about their learning success and this relationship is even more important for underserved students. But conveying your human presence, empathy, and awareness in an online class requires intention and a toolkit of effective practices. In this class, you will be immersed in a supportive online learning community as you develop humanized practices for your online course that will lay an inclusive foundation for community building and collaboration.
To successfully complete this course, you will need a webcam or smartphone and a YouTube account.
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate. This course requires creating video content, but the course is designed for those who may be new to video and social presence.
To successfully complete this course, participants will:
- Discuss research findings that link a caring instructor to online student success.
- Discuss research that links social presence with increased student interactions.
- Record a video of themselves with effective lighting and audio.
- Create a video for your online class that conveys your instructor and social presence.
- Develop a visually-oriented webpage with an embedded, captioned video for your online class.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling in TEC 1850 at Fresno Pacific University. A separate fee due to FPU will apply.
Dropping a Course
We know that sometimes even the best-laid plans go awry. If you find you need to drop your @ONE course, please:
- Log in to @ONE registration Catalog.
- From your student dashboard, select the “drop the course” option.
NOTE: If you drop prior to the first day of class, Contact Us to request a refund.