Online Teaching and Design
Whether you're building your first online course or revising an existing one, this 12-week series will show you how to create the course you've always dreamed of teaching. You'll explore online learning theory, approaches to online course design, and strategies for supporting student success from within the structure of the four sections of the Online Education Initiative's Course Design Rubric:
- Course Design
The learn-by-doing focus will have you building a powerful sample course in Canvas Sandbox, which you can then use as your own personal course creation blueprint. Fast-paced and innovative, this course is perfect for instructors new to Canvas and/or new to online teaching, while also providing innovative ideas for enhancing existing courses.
Duration: 12 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 120 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate. If this is your first time designing an online course, or your first time using Canvas, we strongly suggest you begin with Introduction to Teaching with Canvas.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- develop a comprehensive course plan for a fully online or hybrid course
- use the core features of the Canvas course management system to design an online or hybrid course
- develop an introductory orientation module
- develop a learning unit with clear objectives aligned to the course outcomes
- design accessible course content
- integrate Open Educational Resources and other material curated from the internet to support student learning
- design formative and summative assessments to support and measure student learning
- use a variety of communication tools, both within and external to Canvas, to support student success
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling in TEC 1821 at Fresno Pacific University. A separate fee due to FPU will apply.
Dropping a Course
We know that sometimes even the best-laid plans go awry. If you find you need to drop your @ONE course, please:
- Log in to @ONE registration Catalog.
- From your student dashboard, select the “drop the course” option.
NOTE: If you drop prior to the first day of class, Contact Us to request a refund.