August 12, 2020 • #HumanizeOL
11:00 – 12:00 Practicing Radical Love: Breaking Down Instructor-Student Hierarchies*
with Fabiola Torres
Fabiola will share examples of brief, imperfect, captioned videos that break down the instructor-student hierarchy and encourage students to lean in. We will also consider the important topic of managing your public digital identity when using instructional videos. You’ll see videos recorded with a smartphone using Clips (for Apple iOS devices only) and photomontages using Adobe Spark. Introverts and extroverts welcomed. This session will prepare you to create your own welcome video by the day’s end!
Record, host, and caption your 2-3 minute, imperfect welcome video. You can do it!
- A self-paced Canvas module will be provided to support this activity.
- To complete this activity you will need:
- A smartphone, an Adobe Spark account, or the Clips mobile app (which is already installed on iPhones — sorry, Android users Clips is only supported by iOS).
- And if you plan to embed your video in your Liquid Syllabus (see August 13th), you will also need a free Google account (to host your video on YouTube).
- When you’re done, share your video on our digital bulletin board to receive applause from your colleagues!
* CVC-OEI/@ONE will send an email verifying your attendance for each one-hour live session. California community college faculty and staff may use this email verification for flex credit, pending local college approval. Check with your local flex coordinator for more information. Self-guided activities are not eligible for verification by CVC-OEI/@ONE.