Become a Certified POCR Campus!
Identified OEI Pilot sections that have been through Peer Online Course Review are performing at +4.9 percentage points above the statewide average for online success.
Research and Planning Group for California Community Colleges
“The Online Education Initiative:
Access and Quality of Online Education in
California’s Community Colleges” – 2017
We here at CVC-OEI are so excited about the benefits of Peer Online Course Review (POCR) and the fantastic feedback we receive from faculty that we have developed resources to help your college design, develop, and deploy its own campus-based POCR program. In addition to improving online student success rates, having a local POCR program on your campus will:
- Serve as an exciting and engaging professional development experience for new and experienced online faculty.
- Lead to more engaging and satisfactory online experiences for both teachers and students.
- Create a community of practice in which teachers share their challenges, develop new approaches, and support one another.
- Result in more aligned "Quality Reviewed" courses from your college in the CVC Exchange.
- Improve the quality of all courses taught by faculty participants. Past participants have shared that the course design principles learned in POCR positively impact other online and on-campus courses they teach!
Just getting started?
We have put together an entire resource site to help guide you through the six steps to creating a local POCR program at your college.
Already playing POCR?
Once your college has established a local POCR process and is reviewing and aligning courses using the OEI Course Design Rubric, you can complete an application to become an official Certified POCR Campus!
The application asks you to:
- Describe your current local online course review process and include any relevant documentation or URLs.
- Describe how faculty are supported and how alignment with the CVC-OEI Course Design rubric, including the accessibility of Canvas Content in D1-D7, is verified.
- Include a copy of or link to any local Academic Senate resolutions about the adoption of POCR and/or the CVC-OEI rubric.
- Provide a list of all of your local POCR reviewers (completion of the @ONE POCR course is required before serving as a reviewer).
- Provide CVC-OEI access to three courses that have been reviewed and aligned with the CVC-OEI Course Design rubric through your local process.
After your application is received, the three courses and the corresponding review documents will be checked by a Lead Reviewer and an Accessibility Specialist to assess the accuracy of the campus reviews compared to CVC-OEI standard practices for applying the rubric. Suggestions, if needed, for how the local reviewers might better match CVC-OEI review norms will be shared with your review team.
Once it is determined that your college has an aligned review process, the college will receive the “Certified POCR Campus” designation!
Benefits of being a Certified POCR Campus:
- Your college will be able to submit locally reviewed and aligned courses to CVC-OEI for a check by one of our external Lead Reviewers.
- Accessibility support, as needed, for 508 compliance of files in the course and D8-D16 of the Rubric. (Available to CVC-OEI Consortium Colleges only)
- The opportunity to purchase bulk registrations for your employees to enroll in @ONE professional development courses and events at a discounted rate. (Buy 20 enrollments for your campus and receive 10% off)
- The chance for your college to be showcased on the Online Network of Educators (@ONE) website and at the Online Teaching Conference.
- More Quality Reviewed courses from your college rising to the top of the search in Finish Faster Online and ExCEL Cross Enrollment!
Your college's certified status will be renewed every two years, as long as:
- The courses submitted to us for a Lead Reviewer check continue to consistently meet CVC-OEI standard practices for applying the rubric.
- Your local POCR team sends at least two members to participate in an @ONE annual train-the-trainer and norming event on course review and use of the rubric.
Think your college is ready to deal? Submit an application to become POCR Certified!
Not ready to play? Then check out our resource site for starting local POCR on your campus!