Prepare for Camp
The OEI’s Canvas Summer Camp is the place to be if you like learning in a fast-paced, focused way. The program will take place over two consecutive half-days and will introduce you to the beauties of using Canvas in online, hybrid, and face-to-face classes. These simple, hands-on lessons give you the chance to master Canvas in your own practice course to build a home page, content page, discussion, and quiz, while also exploring how to use Canvas communication tools.
If you’re new to Canvas, this course is a great starting point, and you get to keep your sandbox to play in, experiment, and build your online material! (The Canvas Summer Camp is a compressed version of the OEI’s regular 4-week “Intro to Canvas” course. Same content, same badge.)
Here’s what you’ll need to bring to camp to get the most from the experience:
- Basic computer literacy. Camp will move quickly and our focus is on how to use Canvas – not on how to use a computer.
- A computer or laptop with a microphone and/or webcam. Using your webcam will be encouraged but not required.
- A course in mind for which you will develop content. Keep your content handy so you can add it to your canvas sandbox shell during the hands-on activities.
Content to have on hand includes:
- Your course outline or syllabus.
- A digital photo of yourself to add to your profile.
- Your contact information to include on your home page.
- An image related to your course content that can be added to a Canvas page.
- Some quiz questions, an assignment you would typically give, and a discussion topic.
In addition to the activities you participate in during the workshop sessions, you’ll have one week post-course to submit the assignments required to earn the course completion badge.