What is the Course Design Academy?
In this 2-minute video, Shannon Van Zant from Columbia College reflects on her experiences with online peer review and shares how the changes she made to her course have impacted her students.
The OEI Course Design Academy is a free, online professional development program for full and part-time California Community College faculty teaching online at Online Education Initiative (OEI) Consortium Colleges. As a participant in the Course Design Academy, you receive:
- Confidential feedback and course design recommendations from fellow online faculty through peer online course review.
- Support from a Canvas Course Design Specialist (CCDS) to assist you with applying your feedback and getting the most from the tools and features in Canvas.
- Hands-on assistance, as needed, from Accessibility Specialists to make your course fully 508 compliant!
- Badges awarded as you align your course with each section of the OEI Course Design Rubric: Content Presentation, Interaction, Assessment, and Accessibility.
Upon completion, your work is recognized with an Aligned Course Badge and a Course Design Academy certificate that shows your course:
- Is “exchange ready” and eligible to be offered through the Online Course Exchange.
- Has met the CCC’s highest level of design standards of quality and accessibility to support online student success!
Why “Course Design Academy”?
Course Design Academy is our review process, including all of the support pieces that help you strengthen your course. Since 2014, nearly 200 faculty from 23 CCCs have participated in an OEI peer online course review. Through badges and certificates, we can now recognize the rigorous and rewarding professional development faculty complete as they work with other faculty, instructional designers, and accessibility specialists to enhance and strengthen their courses.
Here's what some of your other fellow instructors have to say about their online peer review experiences:
The OEI Course Review process allowed me to create a dynamic, easy to navigate course that students have really appreciated.
I received a lot of feedback but it did not stop there. I received a lot of resources to get help—walking me through it step by step.
The review process was very positive. We often don’t get sufficient feedback from students, and students are not properly trained to review. I just made some recommended changes and my course is now a lot better. It works!
Reviews that are at my local campus are usually by someone in one’s discipline. It is good to be reviewed by someone I did not know and who is from a different discipline—getting a different perspective.
The OEI course review was the best professional development for online teaching that I have received.
Questions? Register for an upcoming online information meeting. You can also join our Course Design Academy Online Community and post to our Q&A, or contact Stacey Carrasco at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Scheduling of courses in the Online Course Exchange rests with the colleges. We recommend you contact your college OEI SPOC (Single Point of Contact) and/or your Dean to discuss participation in the Academy and possible future scheduling of your course in the Online Course Exchange.