When designing your online course, it important to incorporate clear, consistent guidelines for participation activities. These guidelines might include:
- Your criteria for effective student participation so they understand what is expected of them
- How participation will be evaluated
- Minimum word counts, number of posts and peer replies
- Expectations for citation use
- Quality guidelines including requirements for depth of analysis, critical thinking, and other encouragements to stimulate further thought in discussion
In the short video below, Tracy Schaelen walks you through an example of how to provide guidelines and criteria for online discussions.